These brownies are fudgy, dense, rich and not overly sweet. The use of cacao makes for the bitter chocolaty flavor and it saves on time to not have to melt the chocolate. For this recipe we use Ladang Lima’s all-purpose flour made of Fresh Cassava, which is gluten free, has no artificial coloring and is rich in calcium & iron.
You can use natural or Dutch cocoa powder for this recipe. Also, this recipe works well with regular all-purpose flower. Whatever you prefer. Now let’s get cookin’!
- 10 tablespoons (145 g) 1 ¼ stick butter
- 1 1/4 cups (250 g) sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (65 g) unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
- 1/4 rounded teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 large cold eggs
- 1/2 cup (65 g) gluten free all-purpose flour (we use Ladang Lima Cassava Flour)
- 2/3 cup pecans or walnuts (gr) chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup (65 g) grated real cheese (optional)
- Preheat over to 325 degrees F
- Take 9” square baking pan and line with parchment paper or aluminium foil with an overhang on opposite sides. This helps with easy lifting the brownies from the pan.
- Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a heat proof bowl and place it over a small sauce pot with simmering water, to create a double boiler. Bottom of bowl not to touch the water.
- Stir mixture occasionally until the butter has melted and mixture is quite warm. Don’t worry if it looks rough, it will become smooth once you add the eggs and flour.
- Remove the bowl from heat and set aside for 3 to 5 minutes to cool just a little bit.
- Stir in vanilla with a wooden spoon. Then, add eggs, one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one.
- When the batter looks thick, shiny and well blended, add the flour and stir until fully incorporated, then beat with the wooden spoon for 40 strokes. (The batter will be quite thick). Stir in nuts, if using. Spread evenly in lined pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and comes out a little moist with batter. Note: Some have found they need to bake an extra 5 minutes, so keep an eye on the brownies and use the toothpick test as your guide.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack. Then remove from pan. For the cleanest lines when cutting, place into freezer for 20 to 30 minutes to firm up.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top
- Cut into 12 squares.
TIP: if this is too bitter for your taste, you may want to add a little more sugar and add ½ cup (75 gr) of milk chocolate chips.